English-Help
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grammar Questions

4 posters

Go down

Grammar Questions Empty Grammar Questions

Post  hgirl62 Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Here you can ask any questions you may have about anything grammatical in the English language. Confusing, isn't it? confused

hgirl62

Back to top Go down

Grammar Questions Empty Re: Grammar Questions

Post  Ashkanxfx Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm

I always have problem with Adverbs?!Embarassed I don't know where i should put them. it's so confusing.
Ashkanxfx
Ashkanxfx

Back to top Go down

Post  Clueless Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Ashkanxfx wrote:I always have problem with Adverbs?!Embarassed I don't know where i should put them. it's so confusing.
Hi Ashkanxfx, an adverb is what I like to think of as a describing word. I don't really think about them usually but depending on the sentence, they usually go before or after the word you're trying to describe.

So if you were describing a song that you heard someone sing, you could say...

"It was a song"

but that would be boring! By adding in the adverb "beautiful", you could have;

"It was a beautiful song".

But you might be trying to describe the way the singer sang the song. You might have the sentence;

"She sang the song"

To make that sentence more interesting, you could add in the adverb "beautifully";

"She sang the song beautifully"

So it really depends on what the sentence is that you have. There are other places that your adverb could be inserted but to keep it simple, before the word or after the word is most likely to be correct.

Clueless

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashkanxfx Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank you that was helpful Very Happy

what about some more complicated situations?
Ashkanxfx
Ashkanxfx

Back to top Go down

Post  Clueless Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Ashkanxfx wrote:Thank you that was helpful Very Happy

what about some more complicated situations?
I can't think of any situations right now where the only option would be to make the sentence more complicated, but as you get more confident, you might change where the adverb is in the sentence.

For example, you could also say "Beautifully she sang the song, smiling at the audience as she strummed" or "She beautifully sang the song whilst smiling at the audience". This sort of sentence can be complicated even for English speakers though, I had to think hard before constructing those sentences!

Clueless

Back to top Go down

Post  hgirl62 Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Clueless wrote:
Ashkanxfx wrote:I always have problem with Adverbs?!Embarassed I don't know where i should put them. it's so confusing.
Hi Ashkanxfx, an adverb is what I like to think of as a describing word. I don't really think about them usually but depending on the sentence, they usually go before or after the word you're trying to describe.

"It was a song"

But you might be trying to describe the way the singer sang the song. You might have the sentence;

"She sang the song"

To make that sentence more interesting, you could add in the adverb "beautifully";

So it really depends on what the sentence is that you have. There are other places that your adverb could be inserted but to keep it simple, before the word or after the word is most likely to be correct.
Beautiful is an adjective, beautifully is an adverb. An adverb is a word that desrcibes an adjective(a describing word) or a verb(an action word). Hence the name, adverb. Most words that end in the suffix -ly are adverbs.

hgirl62

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashkanxfx Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Wink

If i find a complicated one, I'll post it here

Thanks
Ashkanxfx
Ashkanxfx

Back to top Go down

Post  Clueless Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

hgirl62 wrote:
Clueless wrote:

"It was a song"

"She sang the song"

Beautiful is an adjective, beautifully is an adverb. An adverb is a word that desrcibes an adjective(a describing word) or a verb(an action word). Hence the name, adverb. Most words that end in the suffix -ly are adverbs.
My bad Embarassed Maybe a complication is harder to find than I first thought.

(Thanks hgirl62).

Clueless

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't know for sure, but you may remember Clueless bringing up the point back on TC when we were planning this forum that UK English is slightly different than US English? One of those words has already come up! Kate says "whilst" and I say "while."

Admin
Admin

https://english-help.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashkanxfx Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 am

I thought "whilst" is same as "while" But more formal. Am i wrong? Question
Ashkanxfx
Ashkanxfx

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashkanxfx Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 am

I have some dreadful problems in English Sad
first the easier one:

I think it's called "determiner". I don't know where and when i should say "the" and "a"????

Maybe You natives used them naturally but believe me, it's a catastrophe for learners.
in Passages 2 (one of my last books) We had a grammer focus about it but i forgot it. Wink

Second one is a calamity:

i don't even know the name of it but believe me, it's killing me (is it killing you?) (That doesn't rhyme like the story of us) afro

"could,can,would"
I know some situations i should use "would" but when i read your posts (natives posts) i freak out. You use them in very different ways (Suspect) that doesn't fit into any grammer i learnt. And when i think you should use "can" you use "could' or otherwise.

Third one is very confusing and broad:
It's something Called "preposition". which verb with which preposition or even prepositions for places and time. It's surprisingly confusing . I'm dying to know is it confusing you like it's confusing me?? Cool (This one is cooler) Cool
Really, Don't you ever get confused by them??????? Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question
Any tricks i can use to learn them??

I think it's enough for now. Very Happy
Ashkanxfx
Ashkanxfx

Back to top Go down

Post  hgirl62 Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Ashkanxfx wrote:I have some dreadful problems in English Sad
first the easier one:

I think it's called "determiner". I don't know where and when i should say "the" and "a"????

Maybe You natives used them naturally but believe me, it's a catastrophe for learners.
in Passages 2 (one of my last books) We had a grammer focus about it but i forgot it. Wink

Second one is a calamity:

i don't even know the name of it but believe me, it's killing me (is it killing you?) (That doesn't rhyme like the story of us) afro

"could,can,would"
I know some situations i should use "would" but when i read your posts (natives posts) i freak out. You use them in very different ways (Suspect) that doesn't fit into any grammer i learnt. And when i think you should use "can" you use "could' or otherwise.

Third one is very confusing and broad:
It's something Called "preposition". which verb with which preposition or even prepositions for places and time. It's surprisingly confusing . I'm dying to know is it confusing you like it's confusing me?? Cool (This one is cooler) Cool
Really, Don't you ever get confused by them??????? Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question
Any tricks i can use to learn them??

I think it's enough for now. Very Happy
I can help you on the first one. A lot of the time, a and the are interchangable. For example, you could say, "The cat played with the ball," or, "A cat played with a ball."

I can't help you with the last one, but I can help you with the second one.

Can and could are interchangable as well. Usually, could is considered more polite when asking a question. For example, "Could you get me something to drink?" sounds more polite than, "Can you get me something to drink?".

Should is normally used ask a question as well. "Should I dust the bookcase?" is a good example.

Should is usually used to ask somebody if they want you to do something.

Hope I helped...only being in the sixth grade, I am not as good in English as some!

hgirl62

Back to top Go down

Post  hgirl62 Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Ashkanxfx wrote:I thought "whilst" is same as "while" But more formal. Am i wrong? Question
No, you're not wrong.

hgirl62

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, I'm not sure if I agree with either of the above two comments so... confused

Admin
Admin

https://english-help.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum